Star Wars: The Old Republic is the only massively-multiplayer online game with a Free-to-Play option that puts you at the center of your own story-driven Star Wars saga. Play as a Jedi, a Sith, a Bounty Hunter or as one of many other Star Wars iconic roles and explore an age over three-thousand years before the classic films. Become the hero of your own Star Wars adventure as you choose your path down the Light or Dark side of the Force.
- Play out your Star Wars fantasies in a huge, detailed MMO environment.
- Choose light or dark side force powers.
- Engage in massive space battles, or fight it out in one-on-one PvP.
- The Companion system lets those who prefer solo play have a permanent audience for their heroics.
This MMORPG launched to great fanfare - plus an excellent Metacritic score - and was touted as the one game that might challenge World of Warcraft's dominance. Falling subscriptions soon led to the developers embracing free-to-play, and currently its publisher is hoping that its monetization troubles are over. The free-to-play option has only been live since November 2012, which - at time of writing - means it's a relatively untested means for the developer to make money. This confusion is reflected in the game's FAQ, which references billing models and events that have long since passed.
Adventure in the Star Wars universe, fighting for the Empire or as one of the rag-tag Jedi and their friends. This game boasts fully voiced dialogue trees and engaging RPG storylines, built around your character type. Are you a smuggler? Then your first missions will have you trying to reclaim your stolen spaceship. Maybe you're working as a Trooper? Time to do a Dirty Dozen style operation against former soldiers turned rogue. Imperial Agent more your style? Then why not infiltrate this criminal cartel; the Empire demands it!
There's also starship combat, for those who like their space opera with a mix of pew-pew, and a fairly robust PvP system on the ground. Your deeds earn you Light or Dark side points, which can be exchanged for powers. There's companions, pets, mounts, quests, grouping, epic loot, and all the other trappings of an MMO; the big selling point here is the Star Wars universe itself, coupled with a very immersive plot. Currently the level cap is in the 50s, but new content is being added on a fairly regular basis; the Hutt Cartel is the next to be added.
- CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better
- RAM: Windows XP 1.5GB, Windows Vista/Windows 7: 2GB
- NOTE: 2GB if your computer uses on-board graphics processing.
- Video Card:ATI X1800, nVidia 7800, or better
- Graphics Card: Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better
- Other: DVD-ROM 8X or better