Begin your own epic adventure as the Race of Man, Elf, Dwarf, or Hobbit. Based on the books written by J. R. R. Tolkien and not the movies, LOTRO is a closest thing you can get to strolling through Middle-Earth with a solid walking stick in your hand as the road goes ever on and on.
- Smite the forces of Mordor, in a battle to save the heart and soul of Middle Earth.
- Quest for hidden Dwarvish artifacts, and search the depths of Moria, Mirkwood, or one of many other infamous locales.
- Meet your heroes, then crush 'em with your monster.
- Play as one of four races, each with its own quirks and class benefits.
The design team at Turbine working on Lord of the Rings Online know their Tolkien trivia. Most have read not only the novels and the appendices, but The Silmarillion and Tolkien's unfinished tales and notes many times over. The Middle-Earth of LOTRO is by no means exactly how Tolkien wrote it, but all the gameplay and quests have been created as close to the spirit of his works as possible.
You start out as one of the free peoples of Middle-Earth, and can choose from an array of classes that fit the theme of cooperation. What's remarkable about the quests of LOTRO is how quickly and meaningfully players interact with the main quest of Frodo and the One Ring without ever needing to retcon anything. Players feel as if they are helping Gandalf or Aragorn, but the story can move forward independently of the story.
LOTRO was one of the first major MMOs to embrace the free to play business model and Turbine reported a huge increase in revenue based on the switch in 2010. There's a significant number of items available That's allowed the team to continue to support the game and move the plot past the Misty Mountains and into Rohan.
In the fall of 2012, Turbine released the fourth expansion called the Riders of Rohan. In it the level cap was raised and the main quest lengthened to include the Rohirrim's battle against the Shadow, but the biggest addition was mounted combat. Each class received abilities usable from horseback and the fun of riding down a stray orc raider or wolf rider can not be denied.
- OS: Windows XP (Service Pack 2 is recommended)
- CPU: Intel Pentium 4 - 1.8GHz or AMD equivalent
- RAM: 512MB
- Graphics Card: 64MB NVIDIA Geforce 3 or ATI Radeon 8500
- Connection: 56K Modem
- API: DirectX 9.0c
- Hard Drive Space: 7GB NOTE: This requirement does not include recent game updates. Up to 10GB may be required for the installation.
- OS: Windows XP (Service Pack 2) or Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
- CPU: Intel Pentium 4 - 2.8GHz or AMD equivalent
- RAM: 1.0GB (2.0GB for Vista)
- Graphics Card: 128MB NVIDIA Geforce 6800 or ATI 8500
- Connection: Cable (modem) or DSL Connection
- API: DirectX 9.0c (Latest Version)
- Hard Drive Space: 10GB NOTE: This requirement does not include recent game updates. Up to 12GB may be required for the installation.