Topic Index
Warcry is an MMo fan site?

Username:Password:
Log In
 (Pages: 1, 2 NEXT)

I have always been under the impression that this site is mainly dedicated to MMO style games, seeing as all the sub sites and most of the articles revolve around them.

However, I have noticed over the past few weeks,(most rescently today) that some members come here and dont even like MMO's. Now am I alone in my opinion that this is an MMO fan site? Also, am I alone in my observation that its odd that people who object to the concept of MMO's still frequent the site just to say why they dont like them?

I know this is usualy just the common troll/flame motivation, but I find myself wondering if this is confined to just mmo forums, or if this is common amongst all forums.

e.x #1 "Hotdogs taste great.forum" (fake) , ...topic name "slaw dogs are the best", response #1 "hot dogs taste like crap, I just figured Id take the time to sign up for an account, set an avatar, scroll the topic list, and let you know that my opinion contridicts this entire site"

I dont want to mention where I think most of these culprits originate from. Im sure most of the usuals can draw that conclusion pretty quick. Im sure even a troll who hates all mmo's would get burned out building a high post count strickly disagreeing 100% of the time....or maybe im not giving them enough credit.

p.s , sry to Guitar if this has "lock me" written all over it.

shizzie:

I dont want to mention where I think most of these culprits originate from. Im sure most of the usuals can draw that conclusion pretty quick.

You have taken a look at the new sticky I've put up, haven't you

Warcry seems like an MMO site but I would now much about it since I'm from the Escapist and only on ocasion do I come here. It is a nice site, but your right a little MMO focused.

guitar:

shizzie:

I dont want to mention where I think most of these culprits originate from. Im sure most of the usuals can draw that conclusion pretty quick.

You have taken a look at the new sticky I've put up, haven't you

yep, and i got the mail regarding the same subject. I guess im just growing impatient at the amount of non fans attending a fansite, bugs me to no end. Your welcome to lock or delete this thread if you feel it to be against the guidlines.(not that you would need my aproval or anything). But I dont feel the problem is addressed, nor do I feel it can be, effectivly without some sort of drastic action, on a level compareable to an Iron curtain aproach.

I guess these are just my last ditch attempts (rants) to draw as much attention to it as possible before I just avoid the site in general.I dont mean that to sound threatening in anyway, I understand, obviously, I am no more important then anyone else, but Its not what it use to be arund here.

I assure you, and the other mod.s I will not make any other threads with the overtones of my rescent topics. They are trivial in the end, regardless of what intentions I had when creating them.

We need to begin our pilgrimage, my friends. To find the fabled Ban-Hammer of Goodness +1.

Only then can we rid our poor village of the trolls!

-Hemi-:
We need to begin our pilgrimage, my friends. To find the fabled Ban-Hammer of Goodness +1.

Last I heard it was hidden away deep in Greever's Lair.

shizzie:

But I dont feel the problem is addressed, nor do I feel it can be, effectivly without some sort of drastic action, on a level compareable to an Iron curtain aproach...

You are suggesting that users from the Escapist be restricted from this site?

...but Its not what it use to be arund here.

This site has had many changes to it over the past six years (and that's just the time I've been here). With every change, somethings aren't how everyone would want them to be. Personally, I didn't like the two times the site's layout and colour scheme had been changed. I didn't like when the offtopic sites were all merged. I didn't like it when many of the long-time community members disappeared without as much as a goodbye. I didn't like it when they introduced the badges.

Now there's another change. Escapist has joined Themis Media Group (or WarCry has, not sure which way around). This is a great potential for new members and new friends! We're already seeing many people here from the Escapist that have become regulars at WarCry. I personally support this. Or would you rather prefer it to how it was about a year ago? When we would look forward to one new topic per week?

The current problem that has you all upset is the issue with the badges. Badges that, as I've said above, I highly dislike. They frustrate me, but what can we do? This whole "achievement" thing is the new trend, and you try and stop that. Might as well try and stop a freight train while you're at it.

We've got some really low-life losers that come over to WarCry, *pretend* to give a sh+t, post some nonsensical bullcrud on three different forums and then, poof! They're gone! You never hear from them again, because they got their badge and that's all they wanted.
The badge requires you to post in 10 different forums, but the Escapist has only 7. I do not know if this was intended as a way to get our two communities to mingle, but this plan fell hard on it's nose. I've talked to members of the "Community Strike Team" about this. They've agreed to look into this and resolve this problem. Probably by either changing the requirements of the badge, or by changing it to something else or iunno. I'm not a part of it.
That is what I've meant by saying that the issue is being taken care of at it's root. That once this badge is changed, you're not going to see any one come here with the sole purpose of acquiring it. Any members that will come here from the Escapist will be just regular folk like you and me, willing to talk games and make friends. Just like the few that we've already had.

Being a rather small community, currently, we do not suffer the presence of trolls or a whole bunch of unpleasant people that I will generally term as "losers". Had you been around six years ago, when some parts of this site were massive, you'd have seen a whole plethora of them. It was almost no different to how Escapist is.
Every community, sufficiently large, has their idiots. We are just unlucky that this badge is the cause of all these idiots dragging their dirt through WarCry. But the Escapist here is at no fault. I don't see how you can relate these kinds of people to the Escapist as a whole. If they upset you that much, just ignore them! In fact, I think I'll request the WarCry folks to add an ignore button into the forums. I do believe we used to have them on the old site.
I am sorry this has gotten you so upset, shizzie, but you are not the only one. And action is being taken.

This whole issue really is a joke. There's a badge that some people want, but do not know how to get. Someone posts a topic saying "Hey, you can post on WarCry to fill in the badge requirements!" And bam! There we go.
Now, once the badge is changed you're going to get another "Bam!" and problem solved.
Look at the big picture.

Well, we must retreive it!

But, I agree it is dumb to be on an MMO fan site if you don't like MMO's. Like me, I like them, but I've not really played an MMO since Ragnarok. Eve would be my first one in a long time. But, for your own example I'll give one. My friend signed up to the McDonalds forum just to diss all McDonalds food.
Just do what I do, I hit the report button and ignore them. As obviously they're here for a certain little object that's pretty meaningless or to troll.

REALLY well stated, guitar, and spot on. I think that the root lies in the badge system as well, at least in terms of -that- particular 10 forum badge. Thanks for your balanced words and, Shizzie...if you leave, we will hunt you down and drag you back in irons. Don't make me bring out da dawgs, boyo. :)

Im just blowing off steam I guess. I have been here for years,and I guess my desired consistancy for posters can be alittle unrealistic at times. I guess I have just come to view these forums as sort of a "home" environment, and I get alittle deffensive whe people walk in with muddy shoes.

When things get rough, its time to call in the 3 headed rainbow vomiting Panda...!

Photobucket

Ok, I agree with most of what is being posted. But...

What is the deal with the badges? Do we get some kind of chocolate shake/date with Vida Guerra/demolition derby with Lamborghini Diablo's prize?

Cuz if we do, I will farm my ass off. If not, then I don't get it.

Is it really just the fact that they want a badge that means absolutely nothing?

HA! I love that picture. There was onle 1 forum I've been to where badges were useful. Introvision gave you some Foamwinians if you got 5 badges, but badges are damn near impossible to get. Then you have to sell your badges for the prizes, and they've strict anti farming badges. Also multi badges overlap. Like if there's a badge for being a member for a year, then 5 years. Well, if you get the 5 year one, you lose the 1 year one.

-Hemi-:
Is it really just the fact that they want a badge that means absolutely nothing?

Yes, just like nearly every other achievement system in existence.

Be nice if the badges could be site specific or if WarCry could opt out of the badge system. After all, it seems more appropriate to Escapist than here. Just my 2 cents. Did I earn another badge yet? :P

You've earned the Most Awesome Editor badge.

I am still waiting for my: "Longest Active Member/Lowest Post Count" badge.

I believe its called The Lazy Bastard.

I want my "That bastard from warcry we all hate" badge so I can show it off on the escapist forums.

mrcheese:
I want my "That bastard from warcry we all hate" badge so I can show it off on the escapist forums.

But I love you.

mrcheese:

I'll be honest that you've got a small name for yourself among Escapists who double-dip into the WarCry boards. Honestly, I personally wouldn't have even considered it remotely possible until I saw that a majority of your posts either contained the phrase "PHARM DAT BADGE", or alluded to it in some other form or fashion.

In and of itself, it's a pretty sensible sentiment, and I (as an Escapist-only regular) was just as irritated with the spammers as you were. The problem is that your response seemed almost hypocritical to me. You admonished the users for the "I want this badge" spam they created, while you replied with an equally spam-filled statement. It was like saying "Prevent forest fires" with a can of gas and a flame-thrower in the middle of the trees.

Though honestly, I've got nothing against you. I'm naturally pretty critical. Unfairly so at times, for which I have to apologize. I'm not much of an MMO player just because I rarely feel like I have the capability to play them to their best use (and don't really feel like shelling out for the monthly fee when I'm not really enjoying myself), and those that I do play are often either under-played or nearly completely unheard of.

And guitar, that was a beautiful post. Just thought I'd let you know.

I'm staggered that you actually think I give a flying crap about your personal opinion of me.

mrcheese:
I'm staggered that you actually think I give a flying crap about your personal opinion of me.

You just harshed my mello.

Dude.

mrcheese:

How about me?

mrcheese:

We know you do. Otherwise you wouldn't chase around the people calling them on their spam.

How exactly does that make me care about what people I don't like think of me?

It's that third grade mentality:

Boy likes girl, so boy hits girl to show his affection, and then doesn't understand why girl runs away crying. Boy is bewildered and starts wearing black eyeliner to cover his sadness.

Lies, if that applied to me, mrfhm mrff mrhm.

mrcheese:
Lies, if that applied to me, mrfhm mrff mrhm.

O.o

All I can say is...wow...

How can anyone not like a bitter, drunken Englishman?

mrcheese:

hmm someone worse then me didn't think that was possible.

He does 1up you on the flame badges.

guitar:
How can anyone not like a bitter, drunken Englishman?

LOL!

If it makes anyone feel better, cheese isn't one of these 'internet tough guys'. He's really that much of a bastard IRL ;)

noleafclover:
If it makes anyone feel better, cheese isn't one of these 'internet tough guys'. He's really that much of a bastard IRL ;)

Thats why we love our resident cheese.

NaotaFLCL:

noleafclover:

I second that notion.

MoonPenguin:

NaotaFLCL:

noleafclover:

I second that notion.

MoonPenguin:

NaotaFLCL:

noleafclover:

I second that notion.

I third that notion.

(Pages: 1, 2 NEXT)
Topic Index

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with WarCry: