Topic Index
Warcry is an MMo fan site?

Username:Password:
Log In
 (Pages: PREV 1, 2)

You also double-quoted my notion.

Sorry, my mouse is bugged so sometimes when I click it'll double to quad click.

Cheese makes everything good! WC wouldn't be WC without dah Cheesester. :)

When did this turn into a cheese love fest?

Not that i'm complaining, I just missed the thread for a few days and suddenly I feel less bastardly.

We love you, you cheesy bastard.

I have never played an MMO. So, by most logic, being on a site dedicated to them might be a bit pointless.

Actually, the reason I hopped over here from The Escapist is that I'm looking to find a good MMO to break me in gently, as it were. I figured this would be the right place to go, and the fact that the accounts work across both sites is a nice convenient bonus.

It's sad that people have the 'us-vs-them' mentality, but I understand where it comes from - another forum that I inhabit took on a few thousand members from another site that closed, which caused a lot of friction at first until both sides learned to integrate. That said, we're not all badge-farming idiots (personally, I think of badge whores in the same way that I consider Xbox 360 gamerscore whores - they can all dive under a bus), some of us are here for genuine reasons.

Also, I brought a crate of beer with me to share. Anyone wanna crack 'em open and chill for a bit?

...I like this one. He brings beer.

thecaptainof:
I have never played an MMO. So, by most logic, being on a site dedicated to them might be a bit pointless.

Actually, the reason I hopped over here from The Escapist is that I'm looking to find a good MMO to break me in gently, as it were. I figured this would be the right place to go, and the fact that the accounts work across both sites is a nice convenient bonus.

It's sad that people have the 'us-vs-them' mentality, but I understand where it comes from - another forum that I inhabit took on a few thousand members from another site that closed, which caused a lot of friction at first until both sides learned to integrate. That said, we're not all badge-farming idiots (personally, I think of badge whores in the same way that I consider Xbox 360 gamerscore whores - they can all dive under a bus), some of us are here for genuine reasons.

Also, I brought a crate of beer with me to share. Anyone wanna crack 'em open and chill for a bit?

A crate may be enough to subdue the cheese, but it won't leave much for the rest of us.

As for a good first MMO, the most common answer would be WoW. Most MMOs have a free trial of sorts, so I'd say just get as many as you can find until you find a game you can justify paying for.

Before you go and bomb your cashloads on any, try some of the free ones. If you are going to do that, keep in mind, though, that free usually means piss-poor quality.

Psh, there's always someone hogging the whole crate. S'alright, plenty more where that came from.

I'm away visiting my parents at the moment but I've promised myself that I'll go for the WoW free trial when I'm back at my own computer in the next couple of days. Maybe I'll do a different game every week or something, I've got plenty of spare time on my hands at the moment.

EDIT: As for free ones, the obvious first thought was RuneScape... what do we reckon?

Never heard of it. If you want a free WoW go play Runes of Magic. It's such a rip-off I don't know how they aren't facing copyright charges yet.

Runescape is very not worth it.

My housemate used to play it, ugly, slow and rather boring generally.

...I really shouldn't talk too badly about games whose companies i'm seeking employment with should I?

mrcheese:
Runescape is very not worth it.

My housemate used to play it, ugly, slow and rather boring generally.

...I really shouldn't talk too badly about games whose companies i'm seeking employment with should I?

Yes you should, shows you got intiative.
Runescape was pretty bad and flawd all around. By free he means like MapleStory, Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine, Master Sword (Half-life MMORPG, but it's not really massive), and some various others. I play Imagine, and soon (if I get a job), I'll be starting up Lord of the Rings:Online.

Actually, those are not what I meant by free. I've never heard of those ones either =/

WoW, LotRO, Warhammer Online, and EverQuest 2 all have free trials you can pick up off their sites I believe. Each one caters to a slightly different playerbase, so trying them all couldn't hurt.

Most free MMOs feel more like unfinished products in a perpetual beta phase then an actual release, and are usually a pretty poor representation of pay-to-play MMOs.

guitar:
Actually, those are not what I meant by free. I've never heard of those ones either =/

I was listing non-browserbased ones. There's so many free one's it's surprising to not hear of them. I know of Maple Story because all the Asians here play it, also because Fox did the special report on how kids were stealing their parent's money to buy the special pay items. SMT is fairly new, and Master Sword (Source,YAR~, and Continued) isn't known at all, but it's pretty fun. They had to do some extreme locking as people were making maps for MS:Y~ and putting unlimited gold and portals that gave unlimited EXP and such because of the fact it's just a Half-Life(2) mod.

Browser ones aren't even worth mentioning =/

Unless the idea of being a disco bandit or pastamancer, and using meat as currency tickles you pink.

guitar:
Browser ones aren't even worth mentioning =/

KoL is a great one.
and Chi, why haven't you joined my clan?

Because I don't play, I don't have enough patience to play browser MMOs. I played a while ago, and found basically everything about the game to be hilarious.

Patience? There's patience invovled? Leveling's a piece of cake especially when you're in a clan. Only thing I don't like is the limit on turns.

LivemeLifefree:
Patience? There's patience invovled? Leveling's a piece of cake especially when you're in a clan. Only thing I don't like is the limit on turns.

I didn't like the turns either, and the humor wasn't enough to keep me interested.

frre mmo's are basicly unpolished games with some form of micro-trasaction looming over your head,untill you reach a point that its ether be narciissitc, or sucome to the money shops.

However it can be a blast for a few days, and currently the only free ones that still lingre on my HD are Perfectworld, and Runes of Magic.

In the end though, 50 cents a day for sub. mmo's is very much worth it, and easy to justify assumeing you have a job, or a couch that swallows peoples loose change (or a cup and cardboard sign). So I will echo the above statements , try the free trials, but keep in mind they usualy restrict certain features, so keep an open mind while trying them.
Personaly, I aim for the games with the highest population, because I enjoy haveing random people everywhere all the time, the less popular,less populated games arent as fun to me, becuase the 1st 60% of the gmae is usualy ghost town.

Pay to play suggestions.
WOW
eq2
lotro
warhammer
city of heros/villans.

I can't join City of Heros/Villans. My aunt plays both of those and it's all she does. She's been trying to get me to play them for years now.

its not realy an mmorpg, its more of an mmoa (a=arcade). I found it entertaining in very small doses, nothing like standard fantasy games. I think the zoning is what killed it for me. Same as eq2, where it apllied it on a much more reserved scale.

It's not that, as I stated, I'd have to deal with my aunt.

LivemeLifefree:

How can you not want to game with their aunt?!?

Chi:

LivemeLifefree:

I actually don't want to interact with that side of my family in anyway.

LivemeLifefree:

Chi:

LivemeLifefree:

I actually don't want to interact with that side of my family in anyway.

I usually prefer not to interact with any of my family in any way. It's a shame I still live with my parents. (I can't wait until I'm old enough to move out)

Well, mine deals with them screwing over the rest of my family, hounding my mom and brother for money, and various other things. My Mexican side of the family though I love to hangout with, just aslong as they're not drinking.

shizzie:

e.x #1 "Hotdogs taste great.forum" (fake) , ...topic name "slaw dogs are the best", response #1 "hot dogs taste like crap, I just figured Id take the time to sign up for an account, set an avatar, scroll the topic list, and let you know that my opinion contridicts this entire site"

all of this stuff is pretty common on the escapist, and pretty much any internet forum, bar the one they came from. trolls are pretty much 80% 4chan influenced.

Now why did you have to go and swing this topic back that way, huh?

Anyway, I know what you mean, Mister Live my life free, I've got a similar family situation.
They are like all those "friends" that appear out of nowhere when you win a lottery ticket. If there's a way they can benefit from you, then you are family. If not, then you're just like a stranger to them.

Atleast someone knows how it is. Most people get onto me for not liking that side of the family too much.
Also, Guitar, my first name is in my profile. Feel free to call me by it.
Though I say hating your family as a whole is stupid. They're the ones that'll be there no matter what.

When you say that someone from the Escapist (such as myself) posts a few posts then leaves just to get the badge, I think that may be a bit generalized. I don't like to moan, but it's not like we get a warm welcome.

Being from that other site, i would say i was surprised by how focused the content is on MMOs. Since i dont really play MMOs i feel i should leave before i get turned.

(Pages: PREV 1, 2)
Topic Index

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with WarCry:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or