Topic Index
How did this site die?

Username:Password:
Log In

Hello :).

As you can probably tell, I'm new to this site. I've been on the Escapist for a couple of years now and I happened across this site just a few days ago. As I was looking through the threads, I noticed that the site was nearly barren, save for a few users and MANY spam bots. I noticed that there was also a resentment to the Escapist and that many people blamed them for this site going down under.

So, for curiosity's sake, how did this site fall down?

Edit: I have no idea when I wrote that sig., so please ignore it :).

Okay, this is annoying me now. How do I change my forum signature??

It was your fault. Yeah, that's right. Your fault.

SirBryghtside:
It was your fault. Yeah, that's right. Your fault.

How was it my fault? I just got here.

burzummaniac:

Yeah, it was absolutely fine until then.

SirBryghtside:

burzummaniac:

I'm sorry.

Please don't hit me. *Ducks underneath table

The very place you came from is the reason people like us wander these hallowed halls, hearing nothing but our footsteps on these decrepit grounds. What once used to be a bustling hub has now become a relic of the ages, experiencing naught but us few remnants of an age gone by. We are all that remain. And even then, we aren't from here.

The Escapist came to be, and Warcy was thus blotted from existence. When one child comes into this world, the previous is set aside to fend for itself.

And this..... is the result.

Portal Maniac:
The very place you came from is the reason people like us wander these hallowed halls, hearing nothing but our footsteps on these decrepit grounds. What once used to be a bustling hub has now become a relic of the ages, experiencing naught but us few remnants of an age gone by. We are all that remain. And even then, we aren't from here.

The Escapist came to be, and Warcy was thus blotted from existence. When one child comes into this world, the previous is set aside to fend for itself.

And this..... is the result.

It looks like news articles were still being posted here regularly until December 2010. Most people just upped and left?? It sounds odd, but it's a shame nonetheless. It looked like this place had a great community...

People left way back before then.

And yeah, it was a good community, from what I observed when I used to lurk here.

burzummaniac:

SirBryghtside:

burzummaniac:

I'm sorry.

*breaks table*

SirBryghtside:

burzummaniac:

SirBryghtside:

I'm sorry.

*breaks table*

*Runs into kitchen in an attempt to find another table.

burzummaniac:

SirBryghtside:

burzummaniac:

I'm sorry.

*breaks table*

*breaks kitchen*

SirBryghtside:

burzummaniac:

SirBryghtside:
*breaks table*

*breaks kitchen*

JESUS CHRIST!

burzummaniac:

SirBryghtside:

burzummaniac:

*breaks kitchen*

JESUS CHRIST!

*breaks Jesus Christ*

SirBryghtside:

burzummaniac:

SirBryghtside:
*breaks kitchen*

JESUS CHRIST!

*breaks Jesus Christ*

:/. *Bends over to receive punishment after seeing display of power...

Wow! I was going to ask the same question, because I just discovered this place 2 weeks ago and I remembered hearing about it on the escapist, so I enter and it's this really scary barren land where it feels that at any moment a creature could jump out from the dark and kill you, far far scarier than any horror game I ever played.
By the way when I discovered this place I thought it would be a place where people organized events on MMOs and stuff and it sounded like that could be very fun, so I'm kinda disappointed that it's pretty damn near dead.
Seriously this place has a creepy, yet mystical feeling that scares me and yet makes me want to know more

burzummaniac:
Okay, this is annoying me now. How do I change my forum signature??

That option is on My Profile/Settings on the Forum and Notification Options BTW.
EDIT: Also do you thing that this place could be resurrected, just like a phoenix rising from the ashes after it's death?

So, what, everyone here just went to the Escapist? Why? This board seems to have a lot more focus on MMOs, so I can understand why it might not attract as many people in the first place, but I don't understand why its preexisting community would jump ship like that.

Aidinthel:
So, what, everyone here just went to the Escapist? Why? This board seems to have a lot more focus on MMOs, so I can understand why it might not attract as many people in the first place, but I don't understand why its preexisting community would jump ship like that.

No, there was some sort of fight with the administrators that from how I understand it was at least partially caused by Escapist community members that in an attempt to get the wanderer badge just made posts that didn't contribute anything and I think also necroed a lot of threads which I believe is (or was considering how this place is) against the rules, this caused the community in here to get pissed off I believe some of the older members of the community were banned and then everybody got up in arms against the administrators and it ended with people leaving because they felt betrayed or something.
At least that's what I understood from what little research I did on the subject.

Kaleion:

EDIT: Also do you thing that this place could be resurrected, just like a phoenix rising from the ashes after it's death?

Tried it, doesn't work. This is the closest we'll get.

Well, the only reason I'm honestly here was because of that achievement thread in Escapist. But I'll be keeping an eye out for this forum as well. ;)

And I haven't really seen any mention of this forum besides that thread, but I don't normally look at the front page.

Princess Molestia:
And I haven't really seen any mention of this forum besides that thread, but I don't normally look at the front page.

There isn't really any mention of it these days. I was only vaguely aware of it's existence because they had a feature where a random board from here would appear on the Escapist forum list each week. And then even that quietly stopped...

Hmmm... Perhaps I can clear this up. I was one of those at the centre of the whole thing anyway. To clear things up first - I'm mrcheese, my old account was banned by an escapist moderator for commenting in this off-topic forum that the place was dead and their "integration" of the two communities had not worked well - more on that later.

Now, I used to manage the Lineage 2 Warcry site. Sadly, I did not manage it in its prime (when it was receiving close to 1 million unique hits per month) but towards the end of its life as the site shifted to a central news hub format. Now we had been aware for a while that Warcry had a sister site in the escapist - most of the warcry regulars went there once and deemed it pseudo-intellectuals and children arguing over meaningless drivel - a sort of Gaia online without the silly avatars. We promptly never returned there and pretty much forgot it existed.

The issues started when the powers that be decided that the two sites should merge their forum communities. This was done in one of the worst ways possible - by introducing a badge for posting in each site's forums, then creating a link to a random Warcry subforum on the escapist forum list and vice versa.

Now from the escapist user's point of view, this was just a new forum for them to post on - most had no clue what the forum was, any established rules, etc - they just wanted that damn badge. Luckily for the first few months the linked forums were for small, inactive warcry subforums. Then one day they linked to Lineage 2 warcry.

With the site still being pretty active, myself and the moderators were suddenly fighting a losing battle against escapist users finding a 3 year old thread and commenting "lol" on it. There were forum rules in place forbidding thread necromancy and pointless bumping posts, 99% of escapist users ignored these things and broke those rules. As a result I ended up banning several hundred escapist users permanently from the Lineage 2 forums, the forum of the week changed, the problem ended.

The real issue began when those users banned from the forum I was maintaining were unable to get their "x posts without moderator wrath" badges due to a ban existing on their account. Escapist moderators and their new "community manager" were very upset that because their users failed to heed rules and thus were ineligible to get those damn badges (i've seen the forum backend - there is no way to remove a record of a ban having existed - I myself was ineligible to recieve those same badges because I banned myself one day out of curiosity).

After a few angry PMs about this, I posted a thread enquiring why the forum merger was being forced upon us in such an odd, intrusive way. The thread was immediately locked by this community manager (whose name eludes me as I think they vanished back off to the escapist after causing these problems). At that point I said my goodbyes, it was clear no discussion would be accepted on the merger and any insinuation that it had failed would not be tolerated, so I left warcry. Soon after, a forum regular posted a thread enquiring why mine had been locked - his thread was deleted and he was banned without warning. This upset a majority of the other regulars who either left or voiced their opinions and were again banned.

Around two weeks too late, the very high ups at Themis (the company who own and operate both sites) posted a thread encouraging Warcry regulars to voice their concerns about the way this integration was happening. With most of the users who tried to voice concerns banned or gone, the thread turned into escapist regulars commenting on how mean all the warcry people were. This thread still exists here: http://www.warcry.com/forums/read/12.112018-A-Tale-of-Two-Communities-of-Thread-Necro-and-a-discussion-that-needs-to-happen

As a final word, I was angry at that escapist comminuty manager dude because I had been reprimanded for enforcing the rules of the forum I managed. I perma banned spammers and people necroing threads because that was the rule - you did that, you got banned. He was upset I wasn't giving warnings and temporary suspensions like HIS forums did. Just to ice the cake, my (rather sarcastic) thread about the great success of the community merger garnered an instant ban from this guy. Nice to know he doesn't practice what he preaches: http://www.warcry.com/forums/read/12.165208-Wow#4340743

Topic Index

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with WarCry:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here