If you don't already have it, download, install and run Spybot S & D:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html Next, update the current definitions by:
Next, check for, and download any available updates:
1. Click "Search for Updates".
2. Check (tick) all available updates.
3. Click "Download Updates".
4. Click "Search & Destroy".
5. Click "Check for Problems".
When the scan is completed:
1. Check (tick) everything that was found.
2. Click "Fix selected problems".
Click "Ok", then exit the program.
Ewido Security Suite (bought out by AVG and made better)
When running an Ewido scan no windows or programs should be open! Do not use the Computer while the Ewido scan is running!
Please download the trial version of Ewido Security Suite here:
When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu."
Launch ewido, there should be a big "E" icon on your desktop, double-click it.
The program will prompt you to update; click the "OK" button
The program will now go to the main screen
You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
On the left hand side of the main screen click update
Click on Start
The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
After the updates are installed, exit ewido.
Do NOT run a scan yet.
Be sure you can see hidden files.
How to see hidden files in Windows:
Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following:
1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
3) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
4) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.
* Now open Ewido Security Suite
Click on scanner
* Click Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
* During the scan it will prompt you to clean files, click OK
* When the scan is finished, look at the bottom of the screen and click the Save report button.
* Save the report to your desktop
If you have Spy Sweeper installed. While this is a great program, we need to temporarily disable (not uninstall) the program because it might stop our fix.
Disable Spy Sweeper:
Open it click > Options over to the left then > program options > Uncheck "load at windows startup".
Over to the left click "shields" and uncheck all there.
Uncheck "home page shield".
Uncheck 'automatically restore default without notification".
Get Hijack This currently at version: 1.99.1:
Make sure you reboot before you run HiJackThis!!
Run HiJackThis and click "Scan", then post your log here:
Also, make sure that you actually extract HijackThis to its own folder. DO NOT run it from within a zip manager (WinZip), as no backups will be saved.
Once that is all done and if you don't already have it, download, install and run CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com
Cleans the following:
* Internet Explorer - Temporary files, URL history, cookies, Auto complete form history, index.dat.
* Firefox - Temporary files, URL history, cookies, download history.
* Windows - Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files.
* Registry cleaner - Advanced features to remove unused and old entries, including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more... Remember to always back up your registry file prior to editing anything; this program also comes with a comprehensive backup feature.
* Third-party applications - Removes temp files and recent file lists (MRUs) from many apps including Opera, Media Player, eMule, Kazaa, Google Toolbar, Netscape, MS Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and many more...
This is fitting; for a little humor watch this flash movie
Have a great Day!!
o just for $@#$s and grins, post how many bugs you found on your system after you ran the clean ups.
The most I found was on my boss's daughters system, she has Lime wire and Napster on there and she had over 800 bugs (Virus and