Topic Index
Operation: Revive Warcry

Username:Password:
Log In
 (Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 NEXT)

Hello, everyone!

During my early days at the Escapist, I stumbled upon 'Warcry'. At that time, I failed to notice that Warcry was barren.[1] As of today, I read a thread asking, 'What is Warcry' and read the story of how this all came to be.

Now, I can do nothing to repair those things. Nor is it plausible that this forum will return to it's former glory.[2] But I[3] will go about at least trying to ressurect the 'Off Topic' section and maybe get some moderation to clean up this Spambot haven.

Does anyone have any suggestions how we can go about this?

[1] For lack of a better term.
[2] Since it's original purpose is no longer a necessary thing.
[3] and possibly a bit of friends

I...this is...this is amazing, IT'S BEAUTIFUL! It's like the escapist's version of Old Aperture! HOLY SHIT! This could be our Batcave!

Muhahaha! Deep in the heart of Mt.Injustice, Warcry lies sleeping. Warcry! You shall live again! *obligatory thunder clap*

I feel... funny

This is pretty trippy

The party don't start till I walk in.

PsychicTaco115:
I feel... funny

This is pretty trippy

Secret world leader (shhh):
I...this is...this is amazing, IT'S BEAUTIFUL! It's like the escapist's version of Old Aperture! HOLY SHIT! This could be our Batcave!

Muhahaha! Deep in the heart of Mt.Injustice, Warcry lies sleeping. Warcry! You shall live again! *obligatory thunder clap*

Oh, man! This is amazing! I am just waiting for the Cave Johnson recordings to start playing!

I've also changed my browsing option to 'Apocalypse' because it suits the vibe O' so nicely!

Lucem712:
I've also changed my browsing option to 'Apocalypse' because it suits the vibe O' so nicely!

Here, listen to this while you explore.

We're like archeologists, digging up the past!

Lucem712:

Here, listen to this while you explore.

Perfect! This link it'll put it on repeat, so no need to go back and forth to replay it.
http://www.listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=lc67KkAnSNk

PsychicTaco115:

Internet Archaeologists! Which makes us, Oh, I don't know, 100x better!

PsychicTaco115:

There was a battle here. Many years ago. Before my time at least, we must find out the story of this place. It was a badge. The war was fought over a badge. This much I know.

PsychicTaco115:

There was a battle here. Many years ago. Before my time at least, we must find out the story of this place. It was a badge. The war was fought over a badge. This much I know.

This was left by one MrCheese, who was later ban, made another account and subsequently ban once again.

Lucem712:
snip

*sitting at campfire* ...wow...

Lucem712:
snip

T'was an unfair battle. Warcry was weakening and through all those events, regardless of anyone's fault, Warcry was the one that was dealt a deathblow in the end.

Lucem712:

Lucem712:
snip

T'was an unfair battle. Warcry was weakening and through all those events, regardless of anyone's fault, Warcry was the one that was dealt a deathblow in the end.

Some say that their ghosts still wander on this very site

Waiting for justice...

PsychicTaco115:

Lucem712:

Waiting for justice...

Oh, receive it they shall!

Lucem712:

PsychicTaco115:

Lucem712:

Waiting for justice...

Oh, receive it they shall!

Well, that's good

I'm sure we can resurrect the dead to fight with us, they won't mind!

This is what our very own Susan Arendt said about warcry

Susan Arendt:

Actually, no.

Warcry used to be a collection of themed forums dedicated to specific MMOs. It was actually part of a business we ran for developers - we ran their communities for them. Then developers figured out they could do that themselves, and Warcry began to dwindle in activity and popularity. Less and less new content was posted as more and more fans and developers began to run their own sites for games.

As Warcry was winding down, The Escapist was spinning up with a completely different purpose and audience in mind. The original version of The Escapist was rather different from what you see now - no videos, no news, no forums, no reviews, just feature articles assembled into a magazine-style PDF. It was wonderfully pretentious wankery, but at that time, nobody was writing about games that way. We got mocked for it a lot. Now, everyone does it. Amusing, that.

The community left Warcry in droves, but there were a few stalwart folks who hung on, and didn't want to just switch off the lights and tell them to bugger off, so we attempted to integrate the two communities a few years back. The problem was, while The Escapist forums had always been very heavily moderated, the Warcry forums never were, and so we were essentially asking people to play by rules they'd never agreed to follow. That was our mistake. They, in return, resented that the Escapist community was on "their turf" at all, and some reacted rather childishly, coming to these forums and freaking out, attacking users, etc. Some of us here thought merging the two communities was a bad idea from the start, and we were proven correct. Many aspects of communication were just plain mishandled. But we didn't "destroy" a website. It died a natural death. It served a very specific purpose that simply ceased to exist, and the Escapist was just too different for many Warcry users to embrace. Some did, and are now active members here, but many just didn't care for this content or this community. The rules were too strict, the conversation "too intellectual." Not much we could do about that.

*Dons hat and whip* Let's get exploring and fixing this place up!

Evil Smurf:
This is what our very own Susan Arendt said about warcry

Susan Arendt:

Actually, no.

Warcry used to be a collection of themed forums dedicated to specific MMOs. It was actually part of a business we ran for developers - we ran their communities for them. Then developers figured out they could do that themselves, and Warcry began to dwindle in activity and popularity. Less and less new content was posted as more and more fans and developers began to run their own sites for games.

As Warcry was winding down, The Escapist was spinning up with a completely different purpose and audience in mind. The original version of The Escapist was rather different from what you see now - no videos, no news, no forums, no reviews, just feature articles assembled into a magazine-style PDF. It was wonderfully pretentious wankery, but at that time, nobody was writing about games that way. We got mocked for it a lot. Now, everyone does it. Amusing, that.

The community left Warcry in droves, but there were a few stalwart folks who hung on, and didn't want to just switch off the lights and tell them to bugger off, so we attempted to integrate the two communities a few years back. The problem was, while The Escapist forums had always been very heavily moderated, the Warcry forums never were, and so we were essentially asking people to play by rules they'd never agreed to follow. That was our mistake. They, in return, resented that the Escapist community was on "their turf" at all, and some reacted rather childishly, coming to these forums and freaking out, attacking users, etc. Some of us here thought merging the two communities was a bad idea from the start, and we were proven correct. Many aspects of communication were just plain mishandled. But we didn't "destroy" a website. It died a natural death. It served a very specific purpose that simply ceased to exist, and the Escapist was just too different for many Warcry users to embrace. Some did, and are now active members here, but many just didn't care for this content or this community. The rules were too strict, the conversation "too intellectual." Not much we could do about that.

*Dons hat and whip* Let's get exploring and fixing this place up!

FOR THE ESCAPIST!!

How would we fix this site up, anyway?

I do like how they kept the layout of warcry separate to the escapist. This must have been the first layout they had.

Evil Smurf:
I do like how they kept the layout of warcry separate to the escapist. This must have been the first layout they had.

It's very similar (at least the parts that aren't clipping and such) to the Escapist I remember from 2009/2010 when I first started lurking. I found that changing the browsing option for a background helps resolve the issue of the Escapist Logo clipping with the WarCry one, if you have that issue.

Currently have someone working on the moderation issue. Hopefully that'll be resolved soon so we can start the process of cleaning out the Spambots.

PsychicTaco115:

1. We need mods up in this bitch! Woooooo Mods! I never thought I'd say that.
2. we need to bring a community here from the escapist, through competition maybe.
3. we need to scour the place for non bot active users and talk to them.

Lucem712:

Evil Smurf:

It's very similar (at least the parts that aren't clipping and such) to the Escapist I remember from 2009/2010 when I first started lurking. I found that changing the browsing option for a background helps resolve the issue of the Escapist Logo clipping with the WarCry one, if you have that issue.

Currently have someone working on the moderation issue. Hopefully that'll be resolved soon so we can start the process of cleaning out the Spambots.

Yep, if things go to plan, I could maybe become a Red Guard (chances seem slim though) and we could clean this place up!
Injustice League
Secret World Moderator
Cyberpolice to the rescue!

Evil Smurf:

PsychicTaco115:

2. we need to bring a community here from the escapist, through competition maybe.

Y'know, I actually like how quiet and desolate it is here, ohshit...i've just realized something! Guys...

...is THIS The Basement?

Evil Smurf:

PsychicTaco115:

Y'know, I actually like how quiet and desolate it is here, ohshit...i've just realized something! Guys...

...is THIS The Basement?

This is The Basement. The dark scary place you are always warned about anytime you make an introductory thread.

Hey what's this?! I'm suspended on the Escapist but can post on Warcry? Huh o__O

Lucem712:

Evil Smurf:

...is THIS The Basement?

This is The Basement. The dark scary place you are always warned about anytime you make an introductory thread.

"My name is Secret World Leader, years ago, just after my sixteenth birthday, the Banhammer was handed down to me, along with a single herculean feat. I accepted. I walked into The Basement, unprepared for what I would find in that wretched place. And then, one day... I walked out."

Mortai Gravesend:
Hey what's this?! I'm suspended on the Escapist but can post on Warcry? Huh o__O

Well, this could complicate things.

is THIS The Basement?

This is why Daystar was warning us of! Does he know something? Is he a scooby doo villain?

Evil Smurf:

is THIS The Basement?

This is why Daystar was warning us of! Does he know something? Is he a scooby doo villain?

As an Injustice League bastard, i'm contractually obliged to say anything that might inconvenience Daystar in the slightest. So yes, yes he is.

Lucem712:

"My name is Secret World Leader, years ago, just after my sixteenth birthday, the Banhammer was handed down to me, along with a single herculean feat. I accepted. I walked into The Basement, unprepared for what I would find in that wretched place. And then, one day... I walked out."

It's quite unnerving to see all the spambots and knowing 'Flag/Report' won't do anything. I can't imagine who those who came before us dealt/deal with it.

Must Destroy Spambots.

WARCRY UNITE

We will take back the forums.

OCCUPY WARCRY!!!

Mortai Gravesend:

2 different sets of forums. Must let you post here as you are "clean" here.

Echo!

Echo...

Echo...

Holy crap, do you guys know what we could do with a empty forum this size?

We could play beach volleyball!

A secret forum with seperate or lacking moderation? Finally I can post spiderman memes without fear!
Somewhat relevant.

Daystar Clarion:

[]|:{ The mustache is displeased.

Fantastic, the Brovengers have arrived.

(Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 NEXT)
Topic Index

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with WarCry:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here