Topic Index
Fallout 3!!!!

Username:Password:
Log In
 (Pages: 1, 2, 3 NEXT)

Well, its official, I needed a change of pants as soon as the gamestop clerk handed me my copy. Not literally of course, but that was the feeling. As much as I love it right now, I still cant help but wonder how Black Isle would have pulled it off when it was still "Van Buren". Anyone else pick it up or planning to?

I got my Vault-Tec lunchbox in the mail today. Darn spiffy that thing is. I think the Vault Dweller's Survival Guide will come in handy as well.

Coolest collector's edition I've ever got. Almost makes me want to start using it. Almost.

I'm definitely looking forward to try Bethesda's Fallout incarnation.

Drawing parallels between what Van Buren and current F3 is a bit useless, due to the completely different approach that Bethesda undertook.

I think Van Buren would've been a truer successor to the Fallout series, for it's turn based combat and isometric view. I don't mind what Beth did, I just don't think Fallout 1 & 2 are in the same category as Fallout 3, and they should not be compared as true relatives.

Sigoya:
I'm definitely looking forward to try Bethesda's Fallout incarnation.

Drawing parallels between what Van Buren and current F3 is a bit useless, due to the completely different approach that Bethesda undertook.

I think Van Buren would've been a truer successor to the Fallout series, for it's turn based combat and isometric view. I don't mind what Beth did, I just don't think Fallout 1 & 2 are in the same category as Fallout 3, and they should not be compared as true relatives.

True, but why use the "Fallout" tag then. Just call it Half Life 3 or something.

If a company is going to reincarnate an icon of gaming history, they have a RESPONSIBILTY to stay true to the previous titles, otherwise they are just using a games past success to soak us all for $.

-Hemi-:
...otherwise they are just using a games past success to soak us all for $.

That's true, keeping in mind that Bethesda's investment in buying the Fallout IP was essentially a safe bet on an already established name and fan base. The interesting bit is that F3 might bring more attention to the older titles and possibly introduce them to a younger audience.

I feel like the Fallout debate is more generational than anything else. The old guard of the 90's players are very different than today's, and making a game that caters to both equally is almost impossible. :)

Sigoya:

-Hemi-:
...otherwise they are just using a games past success to soak us all for $.

That's true, keeping in mind that Bethesda's investment in buying the Fallout IP was essentially a safe bet on an already established name and fan base. The interesting bit is that F3 might bring more attention to the older titles and possibly introduce them to a younger audience.

I feel like the Fallout debate is more generational than anything else. The old guard of the 90's players are very different than today's, and making a game that caters to both equally is almost impossible. :)

True again.

BUT, I feel like todays gamers would LOVE the original Fallout formula. I wish the developer would at least attempt it. Grinding out another "Halo" is a sure-fire money maker, but does nothing for the industry as a whole.

Kinda like making another movie with Will Ferrell. Yeah people will go see it, but they won't see anything new.

-Hemi-:
Kinda like making another movie with Will Ferrell. Yeah people will go see it, but they won't see anything new.

Actually, the same argument can be made about making another Fallout with the original perspective and combat system :)

Sometimes players *do* want more of the same, at least in presentation and concept, and revel in the familiarity of it all.

Personally, my nostalgia for Fallout is closely tied to these particular aspects that were changed in Fallout 3. Then again, those who are open to change and/or not familiar with the original games, will probably enjoy the new formula and draw their conception based on that experience alone.

So far, i've played 8 hours and I still have not progressed the storyline. The side quests are a lot of fun. Some of the voices however are rather irritating.

AAR
It's not out till the 31st here!

I can't wait to go pick this game up. From everything I've seen I don't think I'll be disappointed, but I'm really kind of partial to the originals.

NaotaFLCL:
So far, i've played 8 hours and I still have not progressed the storyline. The side quests are a lot of fun. Some of the voices however are rather irritating.

They're better then FarCry 2's voices. Those people don't know what punctuation is and they never seem to take a breath when they talk.

Also, that Springvale(?) School was very creepy. Almost as scary as the school in Condemned.

Chi:

NaotaFLCL:

They're better then FarCry 2's voices. Those people don't know what punctuation is and they never seem to take a breath when they talk.

Also, that Springvale(?) School was very creepy. Almost as scary as the school in Condemned.

Oh yea, the school in Springvale is creepy as hell, I get a kick out of the raider's talking though. One thing I always encounter in fallout games, regardless of original or not, is the lack of ammo, and that doesn't really surprise me much. Makes it feel true, despite the turn based combat. Im getting ready to blow Megaton sky high, but I feel like finishing the quests there first at the same time.

My lunchbox is in the post!!! I cant wait.. well I have for years.. but my newest Fallout dose is about to be given and Im totally stoked!

cue JOYGASM!

just completed the game yesterday, and its just as epic as can be.

there are more scary points than Springvale school..hehe

perhaps I should actually pick up Fallout3 ?

Its way down on my list though.....gonna pick up NHL09 and Dead Space, as well as Left 4 Dead before I get fallout

Chi:
I got my Vault-Tec lunchbox in the mail today. Darn spiffy that thing is. I think the Vault Dweller's Survival Guide will come in handy as well.

Coolest collector's edition I've ever got. Almost makes me want to start using it. Almost.

What, didn't order the Amazon Survival guide and get your self a Pip-boy?

LivemeLifefree:

Chi:

I wanted to, but monies needed to go to bills. SCREW YOU RESPONSIBILITY!

Leafar:
just completed the game yesterday, and its just as epic as can be.

there are more scary points than Springvale school..hehe

Wow, how many hours of game play are we talking?

if you do EVERYTHING, game can play out about as long as TES:Oblivion. I only did the first town sidequests, then went mainline with the game. This time, I plan on making a good aligned character. Other character had Regulators hunting me left and right, mostly because I was always stealing/hacking/lockpicking/murdering kids, and to top it all off, detonated the nuke in megaton. I also love the way they did the lvl scaling. The mobs lvl with you, however when you go to an area at lvl 4, and come back at lvl 8, the mobs are set to the difficulty they were at lvl 4. Gives you a nice sense of accomplishment.

lol i just found out i can target grenades in vats. funny when the raider threw one and at the same moment i used vats :D explosion in the face! heeha

Leafar:
lol i just found out i can target grenades in vats. funny when the raider threw one and at the same moment i used vats :D explosion in the face! heeha

Nice timing/aim! lol

Leafar:

hehe, thats always fun. Was anyone able to find the lab to learn how to use power armor? I was never able to find it. Also, did anyone kill 3 dog?

I'm still deciding what my character will be like. Leaning towards Sm. Guns, Sneak and Lockpicking as my three major skills atm.

got it today. Oblivion in a post apocalyptic wasteland... fun!

mrcheese:
got it today. Oblivion in a post apocalyptic wasteland... fun!

Indeed!

NaotaFLCL:

LivemeLifefree:

Chi:

I wanted to, but monies needed to go to bills. SCREW YOU RESPONSIBILITY!

I was going to order the PC Amazon Survival version 'till I spent my moneys on Wii points and paying off my brother. Also no job didn't help, or a PC that can't run it.

So sick!

I picked up my copy yesterday. Major, Major fun.

The lack of ammo is good for the atmosphere but can be a bit annoying at times. My tendency to play it like an FPS means I sometimes spot my ammo down to three and begin worrying because I sold all my other guns back in town.

And I'm also liking how Luck isn't a drop skill, and barter and speech are important (compared with how they weren't in TES:IV), and just about everything has a use.

NaotaFLCL:
This time, I plan on making a good aligned character. Other character had Regulators hunting me left and right, mostly because I was always stealing/hacking/lockpicking/murdering kids, and to top it all off, detonated the nuke in megaton.

Bad news is that if you're good, Mercenaries come after you. Also, I didn't think you could kill kids?

Bah, I suck hard. The super mutants in the museum are killing my ass.

NaotaFLCL:

Leafar:

hehe, thats always fun. Was anyone able to find the lab to learn how to use power armor? I was never able to find it. Also, did anyone kill 3 dog?

you can get the power armor training if you follow the storyline's main quest. You get it in the Citadel, the brotherhood of steel HQ.

mrcheese:
Bah, I suck hard. The super mutants in the museum are killing my ass.

Use the Force.

Leafar:

NaotaFLCL:

Leafar:

you can get the power armor training if you follow the storyline's main quest. You get it in the Citadel, the brotherhood of steel HQ.

Wow, i must have missed the lab then. Does power armor increase your max carry weight like fallout 1 and 2 did?

It did that? Wow, I should have gotten it then. I just got combat armor 'till the end.

the regular power armor gives you +2 strength so that gives you another 20 lbs to carry.

plus i found a cool power armor in old olney called medic armor, the thing speaks and feeds me with med-X when i need them XD. reminds me of Lilarcor the sword from Baldurs gate 2 :D

Not worth it, as you can't go over 10 anyways.

(Pages: 1, 2, 3 NEXT)
Topic Index

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with WarCry:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or