Topic Index
FEAR 2 - my demo impressions

Username:Password:
Log In

Well, in short, everything we've loved about FEAR is still there, it seems. Creepy moments, gasping moments, holey sh*t wtf is this?-moments, brilliant show of smart AI moments, etc etc.

What I'm not sure I like much is the HUD. Now you have this helmet looking thingy across your screen, ala SW Republic Commando. And with motion blur, dust particles, debris, blood and body parts flying around and most of the times in slow motion, all this new HUD does is make everything cluttered and messy on your screen.

Another cool new thing is flipping tables and other obstacles to create makeshift cover, which is great. The AI could do that in the first FEAR, iirc, but I don't remember if you could do that yourself. Speaking of the AI, it seems to be as smart as before (until they decide to run across the wide open street when you're totting in the powered armour).

And speaking of powered armour, I don't like it. It's fun, but FEAR isn't quake and shouldn't try to be by making scenes where you're totting around and blowing everything to smithereens. Lots of stuff flying around (no slow motion capability, unfortunately), AI smarts are thrown out of the window - they'll try to take cover behind debris and cars, but they still don't seem to realize that you're in a ten-ton-or-so metal machine of death with two twin gattling guns and rocket launchers. I'd have preferred to fight my way across that street using the more conventional tactical approaches like in the first game.

Some good and fun in-game scenes as before, but one scene that was played I couldn't control my view. I hope they aren't going to have too many of those. What I loved about the first game was that in every scene you were in full control. Well, in control of yourself at least. You could look wherever you wanted to. If they make scenes where your view is taken away from you then that takes it all down a notch.

Oh and its damn pretty. Very atmospheric, and great use of modern technology. The sound is great, also. At one point a burning airplane flies overhead and it just sounds great. Runs great too, even on my just-above-average machine.
Another thing to mention, when you slow down time the enemies magically get some kind of glow around them, making them a lot easier to see. Makes it a bit too easy, but I guess you could excuse it as your hero evolving his abilities and now he can do that on top of simply "slowing down" time or some similar nonsense.

To sum it up, its good old FEAR, with a bunch of stuff there that makes the game a tad bit mainstream.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I think this is a console port. I'm not sure if the first game was too, but at least it wasn't as obvious.

Great review, thanks!

I was trying to avoid the demo so I don't ruin the first game's impression, but now I'll have to try it :P

You make the game sound good but I must play it first to see if you are telling the truth, Also good review.

I was trying to make it sound not as good =(

I'm going to download the demo later when i get a chance, good review though

I hope they dont ruin it like they did Condemned 2. I just recently got a chance to play the first F.E.A.R. (got it used on PS3) and I loved it. They actually made it scary instead of throwing cheap shock moments at you like most recent "horror" games do. This mech thing you mention does sound entirely out of place, hopefully it has a good purpose or is used scarcely.

I played a bit of the demo last night, will share my thoughts later when I get a chance to play through the whole thing. I see what you mean by the new hud, though it definitely wasn't as bad as that screen you posted and it didn't bother me too much, maybe because of my resolution.

From what you say, it sounds like they're trying to make it a more mainstream FPS, can only hope this is untrue.

Speaking of FEAR 2, check this awesome viral site: http://www.armacham.com/

After playing it, I'd have to say guitar is pretty spot on with his review.

guitar:
Another cool new thing is flipping tables and other obstacles to create makeshift cover, which is great. The AI could do that in the first FEAR, iirc, but I don't remember if you could do that yourself. Speaking of the AI, it seems to be as smart as before (until they decide to run across the wide open street when you're totting in the powered armour).

And speaking of powered armour, I don't like it. It's fun, but FEAR isn't quake and shouldn't try to be by making scenes where you're totting around and blowing everything to smithereens. Lots of stuff flying around (no slow motion capability, unfortunately), AI smarts are thrown out of the window - they'll try to take cover behind debris and cars, but they still don't seem to realize that you're in a ten-ton-or-so metal machine of death with two twin gattling guns and rocket launchers. I'd have preferred to fight my way across that street using the more conventional tactical approaches like in the first game.

Agreed. They gave you all the tools you would need to make it down that street on foot, the power armor just seems to be over-the-top and takes away some of the fun.

guitar:
Some good and fun in-game scenes as before, but one scene that was played I couldn't control my view. I hope they aren't going to have too many of those. What I loved about the first game was that in every scene you were in full control. Well, in control of yourself at least. You could look wherever you wanted to. If they make scenes where your view is taken away from you then that takes it all down a notch.

I couldn't figure it out, but that's what I believe helped to bring the scenes in the first one up and over scenes seen in other games. Although, it was only one out of however many there were in the demo where you couldn't control yourself, and I guess you could argue that you got knocked down and all I hope they don't do many more of them, since it definitely hurts the immersion.

I don't know about anyone else, but Alma is very good at scaring the hell out of me, and not just with the "pop-up scares" that are all too common.

Another thing I really liked about F.E.A.R. was that although Alma could be considered the main antagonist in the story, you couldn't really do anything about it. Whatever she would do to you all you could do was enough to save your life if anything at all. I think this makes F.E.A.R. much scarier then having the main enemies the source of the scariness.

guitar:
Oh and I forgot to mention, I think this is a console port. I'm not sure if the first game was too, but at least it wasn't as obvious.

AFAIK, F.E.A.R. came out on PC first, and then the 360 shortly after.

Chi:

I don't know about anyone else, but Alma is very good at scaring the hell out of me, and not just with the "pop-up scares" that are all too common.

Same for me. The first game was the only ever game that actually made me gasp out loud and jerk from fear. Yeah, it happened

. I've never before gasped out loud in any horror game before. But it's mostly very creepy, there isn't much "in your face monster" moments. The creepiness just starts slow and then builds up and builds up to a point where you just start panicking and you wanna run outta there and shoot anything that moves. They did a fantastic job with that.

In the demo, my fav moment was

guitar:
Same for me. The first game was the only ever game that actually made me gasp out loud and jerk from fear. Yeah, it happened

Scariest ladder in gaming history.

Way to beat the purpose of spoiler tags, fewl.

Topic Index

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with WarCry:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here