Topic Index
Upcoming Games Thread

Username:Password:
Log In
 (Pages: 1, 2 NEXT)

Shacknews featured 3 new movies from the upcoming pun-infested, JRPG-mocking, Wolfenstein-rocking FPS-hero-fest "Eat Lead The Return of Matt Hazard".

Duke Nukem, be afraid!

HD versions available.

The comdedy alone would make this game good. :)

loved the second movie :D

I think the controls/view is gonna be annoying as heck, also what's with the square crosshairs

Ahahahhaah

It's good to know that there is still a fair amount of humor in the realm of gaming, also shows game devs are funny as hell.

American Football as it was meant to be played: Warhammer's Blood Bowl!

What!?! Is that Warhammer Blood Bowl game for real? That game is gonna be friggin awesome!

As real s it gets. Releasing soon from Cyanide Games!

dwarf deffensive linemen? epic.

If you have XBOX Live, you can download the RE-5 demo.

It's sexy.

Eh, I could never get into the RE games because the controls just do not make sense. Also the AI is pretty dumb, like the story, so yeah not looking forward to it.

Also that bloodbowl game looks ridiculous.

So you're saying that the AI, which consists of zombies. without sentience. without full use of limbs. is dumb? Wait...what? The zombies see you, they come at you, they try to eat you. Larger enemies just have bigger appendages and faster movements to do the same thing. It isn't like watching the goons in the original Rainbow Six games bum rush you while you sit in the distance picking them off with a sniper rifle.

Controls - Not sure where the controls didn't make sense....you can aim, run, move, (in latest games, strafe), and open your inventory without having to jump through hoops. You have a limited inventory, which makes sense....no person should be able to carry 10 guns, 1000s of rounds of ammunition, and a variety of random keys/objects.

Story....if you don't like it, fair enough. Saying it is dumb, not so much. It's fairly well developed, follows plotlines, doesn't completely go back on itself in future iterations, and manages to maintain a sense of good vs. evil without being completely black and white.

I suppose I should back up my statements

Alright as for the AI (talking mainly about 4 here as its the only one I fully completed)
I realize they aren't supposed to be F.E.A.R. level but they side step seemingly at random, will run at you then slow to a crawl allowing you to just knife them then kick or shoot the heads off. Not to mention friendly AI is about as bad as it gets.

As far as controls, having to press a trigger then A just to shoot is annoying, also the fact that when aiming you can't move is annoying as heck(I know they did it on purpose but if you can't ratchet up the intensity without crippling the player then you did something wrong in the first place) Also not being able to move with the knife in hand renders it pretty pointless(except when your just knocking people off ladders) They need to adopt the 2 thumbstick controls like any other 3rd person game (splintercell comes to mind)

Weapons in four where pretty much pointless once you had the shotgun yeah you could use pistols or take the time and snipe with the rifle but you had an abundance of shotgun ammo so you could just spray that around with no fear of getting hit. Health was everywhere, grenades where everywhere, it seems they wanted a 3rdPS.

As far as stories go eh it seems a bit nonsensical to me, what with the midget in the castle trying to kidnap a girl, and some dormant las plagas virus parasite thing. It's all just a bit WTF? IMHO

Also needs a free flowing camera rather then the purposefully fixed(generally) one they used that tried to be claustrophobic and just ended up to be annoying.

Now Madworld has got me waiting with joy.

Also, in RE4 which version did you play? I noticed the PS2 one's AI was a bit dumber the the GCN, and the Wii one they could take tons of ammos and were smart.
I say RE0-3 and Code Veronica were the best ones. I'm not too fond of the new thirdperson deal, makes it less survival horrror. Now I've not played 5, but when I do try it out I hope it's more survival horror then 4 was.

You should definitely go back and give the original Resident Evils a try. RE1, 2, and 3 were the pinnacle of the series....my personal favorite being 2. Code Veronica was also good, though slightly contrived. Zero did a good job of filling in backstory while providing excellent gameplay.

Resident Evil isn't a 3rd person shooter...though 4 tried terribly hard to be one. It's a "survival horror" game in which finding ammo, conserving it, and using it when necessary to make it through the game is one of the key functions. While avoiding the baddies, you are also figuring out elaborate puzzles (though "elaborate" is a fairly subjective term) in order to advance the story/setting. If you didn't like 4, you won't like 5. It's the same style game, with a tweaked inventory screen and an AI partner you have to cooperate with - sharing ammo, health, and watching each other's back. The neat thing there, you can play coop - either split screen or online.

So recap:

-Go back and play RE1, RE2, and RE3.
-If you like those, play Code Veronica and Zero.
-RE, as a whole, is not a 3rd person shooter game.
-RE4 tried really hard to be, while maintaining it's roots.
-RE5 follows same formula, adding in constant AI companion
-RE5 adds coop over Live/Split Screen

Responding to Liveme:
I played RE4 on the Gamecube. Controls were well developed there. I have not played the Wii/PS2 versions.

The Wii verson combines the two with their special features and adds a bit more, while making it a hell of a lot harder because of motion controls. The control's were great and they did a nice job but ammo is so rare in that one.
Though the sniper rifle couldn't be controled with motion control.

Why do people always cite RE4s "can't move while aiming" setup as a bad thing? Think about this logically, you're fighting hordes of slow and dumb creatures, if you could gun and run the game would be reduced to a circle strafe fest. All you'd have to do is strafe around shooting the whole time, you'd never be touched. The stationary shooting is what made the game more than your standard 3rd person shooter. You had to think carefully about when you stopped to aim and aiming itself pulled the view in tight, giving you limited awareness of what was going on around you.

It was the best gameplay choice they could have made, yet people still bitch about it.

Exactly it's a lazy way out of making the enemies harder/interesting/challenging. It's like a horror game just making everything pitch black to make it scary(rather than a good atmosphere) Yeah it's the "best way" to freak a player out but it's not a good gameplay decision.

It might have "worked" but the aiming system is still antiquated in this generation.

The aiming system is certainly not antiquated. If you take Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell and use those as a basis for aiming/movement controls, they aren't terribly different from RE:4/5. RE4's system lets you take better aim due to zooming in behind the back. The angles aren't as sharp and it's very similar to the view one sees when using a rifle/pistol himself. In MGS/Splinter Cell, it is difficult to take aim while on the move and accurately fire. Being that ammo is limited, at least on the more difficult settings, that's a bad thing. Exactly as Cheese said: you have to think about where you pull up to aim and fire. Being able to run around a level Rambo'ing it would effectively destroy the entire game's design.

If you want crappy AI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXnEZt_2Two

You could move and aim in MGS? Holy shit I didn't even try that.

sneakypenguin:
Exactly it's a lazy way out of making the enemies harder/interesting/challenging. It's like a horror game just making everything pitch black to make it scary(rather than a good atmosphere) Yeah it's the "best way" to freak a player out but it's not a good gameplay decision.

It might have "worked" but the aiming system is still antiquated in this generation.

But it isn't. The enemies are exactly as challenging as capcom wanted them to be. Enabling moving and shooting would mean making the enemies faster, effectively ruining the perception of zombies.

Also if you can name me one horror game that HASN'T used darkness to make it more scary, i'll eat my shoes. You say using darkness is lazy, they should just magically conjure a scary atmosphere out of nowhere? TBH I don't think Silent hill would have worked it if was a lovely day outside and all the buildings were well lit.

Uhm, in RE4 they weren't zombies. I figured that needed to be tossed out.

LivemeLifefree:

But you were meant to think they were to begin with.

They aren't the slow, rambling undead type of zombie, no. They are the infected by a strain of somethin' nasty type of zombie. Either way, they still try to eat you.

mrcheese:

LivemeLifefree:

But you were meant to think they were to begin with.

I thought that 'till the village, as there'd be no way Capcom would do liches, and I was right. I felt ripped off, I wanted zombies.

MoonPenguin:
The aiming system is certainly not antiquated. If you take Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell and use those as a basis for aiming/movement controls, they aren't terribly different from RE:4/5. RE4's system lets you take better aim due to zooming in behind the back. The angles aren't as sharp and it's very similar to the view one sees when using a rifle/pistol himself. In MGS/Splinter Cell, it is difficult to take aim while on the move and accurately fire. Being that ammo is limited, at least on the more difficult settings, that's a bad thing. Exactly as Cheese said: you have to think about where you pull up to aim and fire. Being able to run around a level Rambo'ing it would effectively destroy the entire game's design.

If you want crappy AI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXnEZt_2Two

I guess I should clarify aiming is similar but movement and looking around would be much more simple if it used the freeflowing camera of SC or MGS4. Yeah SC could get janky on easy difficulty.

mrcheese:

sneakypenguin:

But it isn't. The enemies are exactly as challenging as capcom wanted them to be. Enabling moving and shooting would mean making the enemies faster, effectively ruining the perception of zombies.

Also if you can name me one horror game that HASN'T used darkness to make it more scary, i'll eat my shoes. You say using darkness is lazy, they should just magically conjure a scary atmosphere out of nowhere? TBH I don't think Silent hill would have worked it if was a lovely day outside and all the buildings were well lit.

But you wouldn't really have to make enemies faster just make them tougher or at least where they don't stop in front of you. I suppose I don't mind the not moving while aiming its just the lack of ability to strafe if i wanted to step to the other side of a door for a better angle you had to lower your gun rotate your character step him over then rotate back and raise your gun. Instead of the logical twin joy stick approach and just tapping the left thumbstick over to move. THis is where I would like SCs shooting controls you can side step switch shoulders and have at least a limited mobility (but your aimer would expand)

IDk if you consider doom 3 a horror game but it artificially used darkness to scare the player. Also I was talking about artificial game mechanics that make a game more difficult/scary/fun/frustrating etc. so sub darknesss with any other effect/mechanic devs use to reign in the player, slanted character stats, some scripted events, controls, whatever.

I see, so you want a game that relies on no gimmicks at all, is totally open ended in terms of player mechanics yet still achieves whatever atmosphere it's meant to be conveying.

Good luck there.

That's a little like saying "I want a hack and slash medieval sword-em-up game, but Oblivion just leaned too heavily on the whole fantasy thing - it should have been set in 1940s Poland".

It should have, then I would've liked it.

mrcheese:
That's a little like saying "I want a hack and slash medieval sword-em-up game, but Oblivion just leaned too heavily on the whole fantasy thing - it should have been set in 1940s Poland".

I shall make creating this game my mission in life.

You and me both Chi, maybe we should JOIN FORCES!

First things first, what do we call it?

A Knight In Poland

Bad puns rock.

berethond:
A Knight In Poland

Bad puns rock.

I totally vote for that aswell.

mrcheese:
I see, so you want a game that relies on no gimmicks at all, is totally open ended in terms of player mechanics yet still achieves whatever atmosphere it's meant to be conveying.

Good luck there.

I don't mind gimmicks I just hate bad gameplay, and to me the RE4 control scheme was just bad gameplay. Splintercell had gimmicks halo has gimmicks, ninja gaiden has gimmicks but when I was playing those I wasn't going man why can I not do this, which I kept doing in RE4 I was annoyed that walking sideways eludes leon. But to each their own I suppose, some like it some don't.

LivemeLifefree:

berethond:
A Knight In Poland

Bad puns rock.

I totally vote for that aswell.

I would totally play that game.

(Pages: 1, 2 NEXT)
Topic Index

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or