Topic Index
Biggest Game Disappointments

Username:Password:
Log In

Over the years we have all played those games that ultimately ended up in utter disappointment, what is the most disappointing game you have played?

Mine would be Mistmare from 2003.....What an absolute piece of dross that game was........I should've read at least one review before I bought it- then I'd be $50 richer today.

I mean, the game was beyond horribly optimized- around 10 frames per second, and that was on a pc astronomically beyond the minimum requirements....Plus, it was filled with so many bugs and compatibility issues that it was still nigh unplayable....

Actually, even if it did have good framerate and such, its gameplay was abhorrent, and the story was a generic fantasy RPG one for the most part.

And don't even get me started on the dialogue.

Age of Conan was a pretty big disappointment

RISE OF THE ROBOTS!

I purchased that abomination.

Cheese you poor bastard, that game was so FAIL it wasnt even funny - though admittedly entertaining for...15 seconds.

I think my biggest game disappointment was that Final Fantas 12 could not for the sake of it's awesomeness capture my attention for more than hour. I wanted to obliterate yet another Final Fantasy title - I mean it, I wanted too....but I just....couldnt. KOS-MOS is just too hawt. So I played Xenosaga chapter 3 instead.

Final Fantasy 7. So much hype yet I could not seem to care about a thing in the game. The only thing I did like was the Golden Saucer. Yes, I even beat the game and maxed everything out. That's because my brother is a game nazi. Any game he LOVES and I dislike he gets upset and demands I beat the game and I'll love it. He did the same thing with Kingdom Hearts (both of them) and a few others, yet when I reccommend a game he disses it and never tries it.

Hold on, I'll brb with a list of all games released last year...

Eh I loved both Kingdom Heart Games and FF7 :/

I hate RPGs. Some I like, but most I can not stand. Kingdom Hearts combined three things I hated into 1. Disney, RPGs, and anime.

I thought Kingdom Hearts was rancid. FF XI was hugely disappointing to me, I got it on my PS2 and had to buy the hard drive to play it. At first it was pretty cool, really pretty and all and I thought wow look at all the options for class combos and such but after realizing I couldn't kill a single thing by myself and there are only four monsters in the game and everyone's equipment was the same and that the player base was filled with pricks who Nazi the class combo options, I gave up.

I was super disappointed when I finally played the KH series. Other huge disappointments:

Vagrant Story
Any Need for Speed title released AFTER High Stakes.
Fable and Fable 2

Ya I am playing Fable 2 right now, I kind of like it, but ultimately it is very limited. Yes there are things you can do on your own and making money and buying businesses and stuff is cool but meaningless really. The game should be more open ended like Sid Meyer's Pirates. I try to be good in the game but ultimately the villagers piss me off and I end up slaughtering them in mass quantities.

I enjoyed Fable 2 for whats it worth, took me a week to beat it because I went around buying everything, maxing out my stats and gear - etc. The majesty was lost on me after playing post-game for two hours to wrap up things I hadnt accomplished like getting the lack-luster legendary weapons.

Overall, it would be Halo (the entire series). I remember when Halo 1 was announced, I was more excited than a nerd on a date with one of those cosplay booth babes from a comic convention or something.
I got the game, played it... I literally almost fell asleep.
Tried it on legendary, same thing.
Online... well ok I didn't almost fall asleep online, but I had more fun playing other multiplayer games, and for free for that matter.

More recently, Neverwinter Nights 2. I don't know why, but I liked the first one better. Maybe its because the first one wasn't as buggy.

My only issue with Mass Effect - which is decidedly awesome- is that I couldnt have a three-way with Ashley and Liara. I mean seriously, who DOESNT want to have a hawt night long three-way with a human and blue skinned alien?

eh, Mass Effect was disappointing to me, I think friends built it up too much. I think that it was disappointing because even though the planets were different the fights were all generic and the same.

Well, if we can do multiple dissapointments then... Brawl, Oblivion, WarCraft 3, StarCraft, Halo (Series), Need for Speed Carbon, Samurai Legend Musasshi,Prionser of War, Earthworm Jim 3D, Portal, Counter-Strike CZ but Deleted Scenes made up for CZ's lack of real content, and Counter-Strike: Source.

Farcry 2 was disappointing for me, the map editor is great and all but the story mode is so sh+tty. It gets so boring and repetitive after a while.

Splintercell double agent was one big pile of suck. Give players 20 min to do a trial and error mission with no retries, yeah screw you ubi shanghai, you ruined the greatest stealth game of all time. the potential the game could have had. sickens me ugh.

LivemeLifefree:
Well, if we can do multiple dissapointments then... Brawl, Oblivion, WarCraft 3, StarCraft, Halo (Series), Need for Speed Carbon, Samurai Legend Musasshi,Prionser of War, Earthworm Jim 3D, Portal, Counter-Strike CZ but Deleted Scenes made up for CZ's lack of real content, and Counter-Strike: Source.

I get the impression that you don't really enjoy video games at all.

I agree with Moon on the above comment.

Also, like sv93 said, Far Cry 2 was a huge disappointment for me- it felt like a very dirty version of Crysis, but without any fantastical elements or genuinely awesome parts.

It just felt so repetitive, monotonous, and dull. Plus, the malaria macguffin was laughably contrived.

MoonPenguin:

LivemeLifefree:

I get the impression that you don't really enjoy video games at all.

Everyone says that, but it's far from true. I've been playing games since I was 1. More so the big hits those I usually don't like. I can name a ton of games I love, I mean hell, I spent $400 on wii points.

You named 3 huge titles....WC3, Starcraft, and Brawl.

Do you like the genre of RTS?

Jamanticus:
I agree with Moon on the above comment.

Also, like sv93 said, Far Cry 2 was a huge disappointment for me- it felt like a very dirty version of Crysis, but without any fantastical elements or genuinely awesome parts.

It just felt so repetitive, monotonous, and dull. Plus, the malaria macguffin was laughably contrived.

Agreed about Far Cry 2. The malaria was completely unnecessary. It was a very graphically beautiful game, but so boring and repetitive. When I realized that the area I was in wasn't the only one, and there was a whole new area to do the same boring missions in, I quit. Also having the npcs at guard posts respawn after you walk 15 feet away was rather annoying.

That's what drove me off it. Having to clear the same guard post 25 times during the course of the area pissed me off, and there was no way to sneak past them either they just shot you in the face from 2 miles away.

That and the fact jeeps would appear from nowhere and follow you to the ends of the earth, meaning no car you got in lasted longer than 2 minutes.

mrcheese:
That's what drove me off it. Having to clear the same guard post 25 times during the course of the area pissed me off, and there was no way to sneak past them either they just shot you in the face from 2 miles away.

That and the fact jeeps would appear from nowhere and follow you to the ends of the earth, meaning no car you got in lasted longer than 2 minutes.

I think I spent more time getting in and out of my car then doing anything else.

Age of Conan was probably my biggest disappointment to date.

And as for FF7, to understand the significance I think you had to have been around when it first dropped and played it THEN. In regards to graphics, gameplay, and immersion it was in a new league when it came out and in many ways defined what it is to be an RPG in todays game market. I think of it as WoW is to MMO's what FF7 was to RPG's back in the day.

FF8 was a huge disappointment to me after playing 7. It lacked the immersion that FF7 offered and I never really could get into it.

MoonPenguin:
You named 3 huge titles....WC3, Starcraft, and Brawl.

Do you like the genre of RTS?

I love RTS, but for some reason I can't stand any of Blizzard games. I do only like WC3 for custom maps though. Dawn of War and the War Hammer series are amazing and I love them, but I've not played Mark of Chaos yet. However, Dawn of War Pissed me off because out of nowhere my text shrank in the game and I can't read it.

Fear 2 kinda sucked imo...

the original was so much better and i hate it how they had such a cliffhanger in the end and then nothing is mentioned about Pointman in Fear 2.....

hated both endings (marketing schemes i'm sure)

Leafar:
Fear 2 kinda sucked imo...

the original was so much better and i hate it how they had such a cliffhanger in the end and then nothing is mentioned about Pointman in Fear 2.....

hated both endings (marketing schemes i'm sure)

Pretty sure he got killed in the explosion which happened in the end of the first/beginning of the second. At least I assumed they were talking about him and his team when they mentioned a team that was sent to Armacham HQ getting ripped to shreds.

I liked the second one. They did change quite a bit and added some stuff to make it appeal to the mainstream shooter crowd, and it was obviously made with consoles in mind before PC (stupid black bars), but it was enjoyable overall.

Topic Index

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with WarCry:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here