Defiance's five planned updates will keep the party rolling all year around.
It can be a bit disappointing when a player invests some time in an MMO only to find that its world is a bit slow-moving, with only the occasional holiday event to spruce things up. Luckily, that doesn't sound like it'll be the case for newly released sci-fi MMOFPS Defiance. Trion Worlds is planning to keep things interesting throughout the year with up to five DLC releases.
They're doing DLCs a little differently than most MMOs; each piece of DLC will consist of a free component, a paid component, and a store update. There won't be any exclusively paid content. What this means is that a free player can still visit the same new instances a paid player can, but he won't be able to directly benefit from all of it, such as DLC-specific loot or special abilities.
A companion to the SyFy television series of the same name, Defiance tales place in the year 2046. Earth is changed. Alien races, having arrived on Earth, decide to try and make it their own. The ensuing war ravaged the planet, leaving mankind struggling to survive in a world now foreign to them. You play as an Ark Hunter, venturing out into the hostile terrain this new Earth to fight and salvage alien technology.
You get this when you buy the DLC for $10:
- Access to play the Castithan Species
- Access to a new Story Mission Line with new Battle Arena Game Mode
- Access to the new Castithan Battle Arenas
- Castithan Charge Blade & Ceremonial Mask as a reward from Story Mission Line
- A unique version of the Raptor, a new 4 player truck of doom
- A unique Castithan version of an outfit
- A Charge Weapons Starter Pack
- Access to New Pursuits
- New Xbox and PS3 Trophies and Achievements
You get this in the DLC for free:
- Access to the new Charge Weapons Class and Castithan Blades
- Access to Sieges, a new Open World Game Mode
- Access to the new Monolith Major Arkfall
- Access to a new PvP Map - Military Academy
- Join a friend into the Battle Arenas Game Mode
- Duel your friends and neighbors in the Duels Game Mode
- Enemies, lockboxes, and events can drop Charge Weapons
- Select a new voice for you character
- Multitude of game improvements from UI to content
You can buy these individually from the store:
- New Mods that tint the color of your Castithan Blade
- Lockboxes have a chance to get Charge Weapons
- More versions of the Raptor, the new 4 player truck of doomed compensation
- Character Customization changes: Appearance change, name change, or everything change
There's no mention of when Enter the Castithan will be out, but Richardsson mentions it's been delayed due to "live issues." Meanwhile, Defiance is getting its first update soon as well. In addition to the standard performance enhancements, there'll be new tie-ins to the Defiance TV show. Now that, I'm really keen to see. Whatever your impressions of Defiance's first month are, we'll probably learn what the game's really about once that transmedia crossover begins.