Square Enix tests player toxicity by pairing them up with random people from other servers in FF14: A Realm Reborn.
One of the most difficult things to manage in Final Fantasy 11 was creating a group to do anything. It took forever and travel time to a location was often fraught with peril. However, since FF11's creation almost 11 years ago, MMOs have changed. In anticipation for an audience socialized into an ever-increasing world of immediate gratification, Square Enix has instituted the "Duty Finder" in Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn. This tool will allow players to "Look for Group" for a variety of in-game features like Dungeons, Narrative Battles, and "Guildhests" (think: Battlegrounds).
One feature that struck me from the new system was the "Join Party in Progress" option. Often times in WoW, it isn't really known if you're going to head into a party that has wiped or mostly come apart so it's nice to have that option.
There are a few bugs with the system that Square Enix has tried to acknowledge before the beta-test began. For those in-game, Square Enix asks that you do not make a report about these bugs:
- When starting and getting out of content by using the Duty Finder from an inn room, it will start from the "wake up" scene.
- When completing a quest and leaving by hitting the 「Leave」button within the Duty Finder Widget, the quest won't progress.
- When completing a quest, please leave by hitting the 「Exit」button.
- The sub-command「Follow」 and「Examine」won't function properly when there is someone with the same exact name within the dungeon.
- The party chat within the content will be received by party members out of the content.
- Can't delete party members within the content.
- There is no explanation in the game saying that you cannot add party members within guildhests or The Bowl of Embers.
- When adding party members within the content role『DPS』, the matching will be divided by melee class and ranged class.
- When a ranged class leaves, matchmaking is only carried out for the jobs/classes Thaumaturge/Black Mage and Bard/Archer.
- The Duty Finder may fail to work properly in certain circumstances※Able to play when cancelling the Duty Finder request or logging out once and then logging in again.
Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn recently hit over one million registered beta users. The game is currently on "Phase 3" of its closed beta testing though this should be ending soon. At the end of phase 3, all data will be wiped and open access Beta Phase 4 will begin. Characters created during phase 4 will not be wiped before launch.
For more information on the duty finder, check out the developer video below with Producer Naoki Yoshida and community team member Toshio Murouchi.