Tons of new toys and infrastructure support are coming to Planetside 2 this July.
Sony Online Entertainment, developers and producers of the free-to-play MMOFPS PlanetSide 2 have revealed some of the new features coming in Game Update 13. In addition to four new weapons, and a few quality of life updates, the developer is implementing power Implants that will help stop power creep.
One of the hardest things to fend off in games such as MMOs is power creep. This phenomenon happens as players continue to desire better items, so the game developers must continue to produce stronger and faster equipment in order for people to feel like they are improving. Most developers accept power creep as an inevitable aspect of game development and simply do their best to resist and slow its process. However, some, like SOE, take it as a challenge to develop new content and rewards that circumvent the problem of power creep. These rewards, like the new Implants coming to PlanetSide 2, give players other types of power-ups to keep the reward structure without including the power creep of standard ability damage or attack speed.
The biggest addition to PlanetSide 2 in Game Update 13 is the addition of Implants. Implants are consumable buffs that your character can equip that last for several hours. They will have a relatively low cost and grant a unique buff that will, "allow players to further refine their role & personal play-style without imparting an over-the-top player-power benefit." Though SOE has promised additional implants as time goes on, the implant types available with GU13 are as follows:
- Awareness: auto-spots enemies who damage you or that you damage
- Battle Hardened: reduces camera shake from explosions and flinch
- Clear Vision: Protects against concussion and flash grenade
- EMP Shielding: Protects against EMP Grenade effects
- Enhanced Targeting: increases the range that you can see enemy health bars and names
- EOD HUD: Allows you to detect enemy explosives in a short radius around you
- Regeneration: Slowly regenerates health over time when not in combat
- Safe Landing: Reduces fall damage
- Sensor Shield: Makes you undetected on enemy radar/motion sensors
- Thermal Reduction: Prevents the wearer from being highlighted by thermal vision
What's cool and interesting about each of these is that they give a distinct, desirable advantage without having that advantage be a mechanical, combat-oriented numerical bonus (except for maybe that EMP Shield, but time will tell). Implants are still in testing, but will be released with the Game Update later this month.
Fight for your Empire, in this space opera combat game. Join the Terrans, the Vanu or the New Conglomerate, and help bring your faction glory and fame!
From the developer: "Battles take place not between dozens of troops, but thousands; with air and ground vehicles slugging it out alongside squads of troops. Whether in open fields, tightly packed urban centers or enormous structures, planning, teamwork and communication are essential."
The game is free to play, but you have the option of buying extras - cosmetic and convenience stuff - in game.
This is only available on PC for the moment, but there's been talk of a Mac port.
SOE is also releasing a number of new weapons with Game Update 13. Check them out below:
- NS-7 PDW SMG: This SMG has a lower damage drop-off than all the other SMGs, allowing it to perform well at short and medium ranges. Its low recoil and very quick center speed (fastest in the class) allow those with good burst control to extend it's range even further.
- NC LA3 Desperado Pistol: This 2x burst pistol has a fast burst but slower overall rate of fire. The fast burst mixed with moderate damage makes this pistol a solid choice at close range, though low accuracy will limit its effectiveness at range.
- TR TS2 Inquisitor: Equipped with an extended magazine by default, this pistol gives the TR a solid all-around option that has very high sustainability and damage output per magazine.
- VS Cerberus: High upfront damage mixed with an above average rate of fire for that damage class makes this pistol a good choice at close range. Low accuracy will limit the pistol's effectiveness at range.
The Game Update also includes a facelift to the icy Esamir region, in which nearly every facility and outpost have been updated to enhance the interconnection on the continent. There have also been additions to the platoon system. Platoon leaders can now set the voice chat to only allow squad leaders to speak, and platoon leaders can now set waypoints for each separate squad within the platoon to better facilitate coordination and tactics within groups.
Additionally, Game Update 13 will also feature half a dozen other minor changes, and the full patch notes list has not yet been revealed. Game Update 13 is planned to be released on July 24.
Source: Planetside 2 Forums