The Life Day celebration begins December 12! Traditionally observed on the Wookiee home world Kashyyyk, Life Day is a time to reflect on the renewal of life and to remember those who have passed on.
This year, under the watchful eye of the Empire, Wookiee elders have granted Queen Kylantha and the city of Theed a Tree of Life as a gesture of goodwill. The time-honored Wroshyr Tree can also be found in Kachirho, Kashyyk. Under the branches you will find festivities to truly celebrate this joyful season.
What is Wookiee Life Day?
One of the most important Wookiee customs is Life Day. On this day, extended Wookiee families gather and celebrate a day of joy and harmony as promised by the Tree of Life.
Wookiees will often brave adverse conditions to make it home for this holiday as it is an important time for family bonding and thankfulness. Even the Imperial blockade that is stationed around their enslaved home world can not keep Wookiees from recognizing this most important day.
In recent years, Life Day traditions have been adopted by many species across the galaxy. Originally, the celebration was held once every three years, but as the joyous holiday has spread through the galaxy, many species and cultures hold the celebration once a year.
Give the Gift of Life Day
The Tree of Life is bigger and brighter than ever this year! Located in Theed and Kachirho, the mystical properties of the tree are not truly understood.
Characters that are over ten days old can use the radial menu on the tree to choose Look for gifts.
You will find two presents beneath the tree: one for yourself, and one to share with a friend!
When you open the gift for yourself, you will find an Ancient Life Day painting and a Life Day Lamp inside. Use these two decorations in your home to add a festive spirit to your own Life Day parties.
This is the season of giving, so you must exchange the other present with a friend - you won't be able to open it yourself! When you receive this special gift from a friend, you will find one of four rewards inside.
The Kachirho Wall Cornucopia and Life Day Orb are unique decorations that will add some color and sparkle to your home.
The Life Day Necklace is a traditional Wookiee piece of jewelry.
The Wookiee Home Banner Kit gives its new owner a choice of one of three standing banners to place inside the home. Use the radial menu to begin your selection. You can choose a large banner depicting a Life Day Orb, a Kachirho Cornucopia, or a traditional Wookiee home.
Rockin' Around the Tree of Life
Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes are joining in the festivities this year with a special Life Day concert beneath the branches of the Tree of Life. Be sure to listen to the sweet sounds of the band for a holiday concert.
Next to the band, you'll see a Wookiee offering special Life Day wares. Browse through his unique selections and you'll see goodies that will make the season bright. The Sliced Neural Attunement Amplifier is sure to get any party started, and Life Day revelers can light up the night with a special Holiday Fireworks Package.
The Life Day vendor is also offering Hoth Chocolate and Wookiee-ookies. Hoth Chocolate, a smooth, warm drink, will increase damage and decrease action cost. Wookiee-ookies, delicious cookies from Kashyyyk, increase movement speed.
All of the wares offered by the Life Day vendor cost a small amount of credits and are temporary items that will only last for a short time.
Celebrate Life Day!
Take the celebration of Life Day into your kitchen and create your own Hoth Chocolate and Wookiee-ookies! The recipes below are from The Star Wars Cookbook: Wookiee Cookies and Other Galactic Recipes by Robin Davis.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 heaping teaspoons sugar
- 1 heaping teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Small marshmallows (optional)
1. Pour the milk into a small saucepan. Add the sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla to the milk. Stir vigorously with a whisk until the sugar and cocoa dissolve.
2. Place the pan on the stove and switch on the heat to medium. Watch for tiny bubbles to appear along the edge of the pan, then immediately remove the pan from the heat.
3. Carefully pour into the mug and serve immediately with marshmallows, if desired.
Makes 1 serving.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Put the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed. Set aside.
3. Put the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in another mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat together until well-blended and creamy, about 3 minutes. (You can do this with a wooden spoon, but it will take longer.) Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and stir with the wooden spoon until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Scoop up a rounded tablespoonful of the dough and drop onto a baking sheet. Repeat until you have used up all the dough. Be sure to leave about 1 inch between the cookies because they spread as they bake.
5. Using pot holders, put the baking sheets in the oven. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
6. Again, using pot holders, remove the baking sheets from the oven. Lift the cookies from the baking sheets with a spatula, and place on cooling racks. Let cool completely.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
Happy Life Day from Star Wars Galaxies!