Virgin Worlds is back from GDC packing an interview with Fallen Earth's Lee Hammock, who talked extensively about the MMO's many features, and quoting Flora from the official forums, here's the summary of podcast:
-7 incarnations of Shiva, last one not fatal, rewrites DNA, all clone characters are infected, you're a mutant at the start of the game -- you can ignore these powers or develop them.
- XP from missions, kills, exploration, crafting, SAME XP to core character level
- 10 paths for mutations
- To be the best crafter you can be you have to spend AP on perception+intelligence
- CHOTA mutation path -> animalism, believe it to be animal spirits (actually hydrenal gland, etc). No supernatural elements in the game, science explanation for everything in the game.
- 8 attributes, start at 10, +1/level, EACH SKILL based on AVERAGE of TWO stats. You can raise attributes, or through skill points directly. Max of skill level determined by its base attribute.
- Trade skill go up through use, not AP. But max based on base attribute.
- 90% of items in game crafted by Player Characters.
- Crafters can make gear that is BETTER than any dropped gear.
- Auction House in game, working on NPC merchants buying from AH.
"This looks like a pretty static UI"
"being revamped/worked on"
Current UI is based on LUA script. They would like to do a WoW style customizable UI. Some concern for the power that would give players to abuse it.
- 'b' key triggers scope
- Fence post ripped out of the ground as an in game weapon
- Perception affects-> rifle, pistol, dodge, evade, a lot of mutations, almost every trade skill.
- If you're behind a NPC they detect you purely based on sound.
Head over to VirginWorlds.com and check the podcast.