So what happened to the Ryzom liquidation debacle lately? It's been almost a month since the last Ryzom server was officially brought down, and the liquidators were on a holiday break until recently.
Today, Ryzom fans' own revival effort, the Virtual Citizenship Association (VCA), offered an update on the situation, with Admin ''Xavier Antoviaque'' post revealing that a previously unknown entity, "SpiderWeb International", is poised to take on the Ryzom IP and assets for almost $324,000. So what's the catch? VCA group was not informed of the bidding process, and if VCA is able to come up with a higher bid, they have the right to restart the biding process and pitch in next to Spiderweb.
Here's Xavier's post:
The bad news: yesterday, the Paris commerce tribunal ruled that Ryzom should go to Spiderweb, for 213.000 ($324.000) without giving us a chance to bid.
The good news: the liquidator has confirmed there has been a mistake during the procedure, he should have informed us. We can thus attack the decision, the liquidator is proposing to restart the procedure from scratch if we offer more.
The issue is that, right now, we don't have enough to make such an offer.
At the end of last month, we received a mail from the second liquidator, telling us to reach the first liquidator; it meant the fight between the two liquidators was over or soon over. We thus sent an email and a mail to the liquidator, to warn him we would want to make an offer.
The procedure is then to wait to be contacted by the liquidator, who tells everyone when the offer should be sent. Aside from waiting, Géraud (the lawyer who follows the case for us) was contacting the liquidator directly, who was on holidays until yesterday. Thanks to Sashimi, we learned that the court audience just happened, and we had to make a deal with the liquidator to avoid being discarded.
The issue now: the offer we have to outbid is very high: we would have to offer at least 230-250K, and Spiderweb (SpiderWeb International Limited, W1W 6NS Londres, 5th Floor 26-28 Hallam Street, not the American gaming studio) would have the opportunity to increase its bid, which is already too high given the current circumstances. There are no more employees, no servers, a large portion of the player base has already moved on to other games, and we don't know if we would be able to get the server data including the characters).
VCA group members are currently evaluating their options and the steps to take, either way this story is far from over, and we'll keep you updated on the latest.